Thursday 12 June 2008

A Bone of Contention?

Purpose Driven Daily Devotional today ends with this:

Focus on knowing God – Knowing God is more important than knowing the details. Oswald Chambers says, “Living a life of faith means never knowing where you are being led. But it does mean loving and knowing the One who is leading. It is literally a life of faith, not of understanding and reason – a life of knowing him who calls us to go.”

I have one friend who has profound thoughts on this, - whether they are expressed here in comments remains to be seen.

For me, a big picture person, this comes as a great relief. I struggle with the details; I prefer function over form, I am a do-er who just wants to reach out and know that I am holding God's BIG hand.

For the 'fine tuners' out there, this might seem like a bit of a cop out and it might also suggest that I am fab at living by faith - I'm NOT!

I HATE pardox too!

As an aside - I love holding hands generally anyway. Thomas held mine on the way to school today and I could feel that he has grown since the last time we did that, which wasn't so long ago. The fact that his trouser legs are flapping abound his ankels and his sweatshirt cuffs just about cover his elbows is also a clue!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

When reading this the word that came to my mind was 'submission'.

'Faith' was once described as my spiritual gift. More recently I have wondered whether that is still the case because I am asking so many questions, wanting to understand and know reasons.

Strange really because even this week, I have urged someone to let God worry about the details and just have faith!

Dawn said...

Another thought came to me on the way to work this morning. Sometimes, I've found that the details and reasoning have come after an event. Someone once told me that people who do that are just making up stories to fit in with what they want, but I'm not so sure. There are a couple of massive 'events' in my life where I can look back and see that there was a method, a rhyme, a reason for what happened, even though I didn't realise it at the time.

What if I had known the reasoning at the time and what it was all about? Would there have been any 'faith' in that?

Anonymous said...

Hebrews chapter 11 says it all

Anonymous said...

browsed Captain Ezekiel Chitereka's blog last night - worth reading to get a different view on life..www.captainec.blogspot.com