Friday 23 May 2008

Am I a Grown Up Yet?

So , I have half an hour before I go to collect Joe from his friends house. Have I been counting the minutes? Honestly no, not until Elyse and Thomas went to bed, then YES.

Keith is asleep, but watching Road Wars at the same time,so I'm getting my thoughts down on blog.

Joe mentioned this morning that a group of them were going round 'this mates house' after school for a while. Then at break time I recieved a text asking me how late he could stay out.

Keith has phoned to ask permission to play Golf with my dad after work and I wasn't sure what time they'd be going and although I sometimes leave E and T at home to collect Joe from here and there, Elyse hates it - she worries ...HMmmmm! and it's not fair to drag them about late, so I suggest 8:30. The text comes back,'Later?'

The questions commence:
  • Where does this person live?
  • Will their parents be there?
  • Is everyone in your year?
  • Will there be older kids there?
  • etc

I phone Keith who goes a bit mad, but here's my reasoning for 'letting him go'.

I said NO to Camden Market and still stand by that, but this is local and I know location means nothing - kids can get into trouble anywhere. So this is like a test for me and Joe really. It's the start of me being a grown up parent, trusting my son in his judgement and hopefully earning some parenting brownie points along the way.

My stomach IS flipping about a bit though - oh it's so hard !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still don't fall asleep until I hear Karl's key in the door - whether it be 11pm or 2 in the morning. He's good though he will text me when he's on his way home or if he's staying at a friends for the night but there is one thing I have learnt - there is no cut off age when you stop worrying!

Liz said...

All was well - although when I arrived Joe and two girls were walking up the street, which initally alarmed me - it was about 11pm - but they had walked someone home, so that was ok...I think.
One of my problems is that we don't live in the town where Joe goes to school and he was the only one from his Junior School to go there 3 years ago, so we don't know any of the kids or their families that well if at all. Something I have been informed that I just have to 'get over'. Whether I will or not remains to be seen.

Anonymous said...

I know it doesn't get any easier as they get older because you wont know the company they keep or their parents etc etc etc but the foundations you have set in their lives will be there always. Sometimes they will 'wander' off but I have discovered with Karl that he remembers things we have said and done and most importantly he knows that he is loved unconditionally. NOW Liz you MUST this instant sign my guest book, please...

Anonymous said...

have added a new blog to my existing blog entitled 'By Love We Serve'

Serena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

If it's any consolation Liz, or perhaps this should be directed at Joe, my Dad never liked or got used to me being out late.

I moved out when I got married, aged 26 (though I should probably point out I did spend 5 years away at university from the ages of 18 to 23).