Friday 10 October 2008

Library Evangelism

Watching the news this morning, I was surprised to find that librarys are trying to think of others ways to get people to use them by, for example, putting a coffee shop in them.

One of the tv presenters has JUST said,'I saw the value of Libraries when I was a child, but as I got older, I felt that I didn't really need them any more. However, now I have my own children I really want to encourage them to use the library'

For Library, insert the word the Church.

The Librarian has just said that Libraries and more that just books, there is so much more to a library and people just need to come along and see. Librarians are normal people, just like me and you!

Seems like libraries have the same problem as churches and it's going to get worse for them too. With the internet, a whole generation of children will be raised without knowing the benefit of a local library, until one day, they will just become obsolete....unless..... The reality for churches is that we are a generation along and many parents have never experienced the value of church and a relationship with God, and so are not aware of the choice available.

Coffee - the way forward :)

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Observations -

You should come and see our librarians - not so sure they are normal, although compared to Drs Receptionists.....!!

Does that mean you can get a coffee at the Library but you have to be QUIET when you ask for it, pay for it and drink it? Interesting concept!!

Nic said...

I use the library regularly and take Samuel there at least once a month to choose some books. He loved it!

The problem is that a lot people just cannot be bothered to go leave their settee and go the libraby, similarly they can't be bothered to go to church.

Getting them through the doors is the biggest battle...once they are there, they might actually find out that there is something of interest and they could use it regularly........that goes for both the library and church

Anonymous said...

yes one of my friends is a Librarian and she told me about this concept a few months ago and, like you, I thought of the comparrison with church.

Jude said...

my dad made pretty much the same observation - although all he said was "hummmm sounds like church"
how true!

Nic said...

I was afraid your comments were going to start getting abusive, so check out my blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking!

IT took me an hour to think of something!