Tuesday 13 February 2007

Re T.V and Holidays

Well, what do you know? Since berating TV as rubbish, we have series 2 of Life On Mars - superb, watched a double 'bill' tonight ( did you see what I did there?) and series 2 of Hotel Babylon, which is utter trash but 'expensive' and even better, is on at the same time as Bonkers, which is Utter Trash, saving me the trouble of watching that.

I know I'm talking as if I have all the time in the world to watch TV, but I am on holiday this week, so, in effect, this week - I DO! Hurrah!!

Actually, 'holiday' hardly describes having a week off at home with the children, their social calendars are endangering my health!

Yesterday we did lunch at Pizza Hut, then saw Charlotte's Web at the cinema ( Take lots of tissues, we all cried towards the end!)

Today, Joe was meeting his Grandad at the Station to go up to The Emirates Stadium for a Legends Tour,so I dropped him off, and Elyse had arranged to meet a friend ( and her mum) at Lakeside to visit the Build A Bear Shop to purchase accessories for the bears they had built at a birthday party a while back.Unfortunately this wasn't much fun for the two brothers who had to tag along, so there was lots of moaning from them about achy feet, needing the loo and ears popping ( up and down the escalators!)

Tomorrow morning we are going to sing Happy B'day to Keith's mum who will be 70 ( she seriously does NOT look it, she's amazing!), pop into 'Cold Blooded' to buy locusts for our gecko, drop Joe off at a friends and then visit a toy shop to purchase lego for Thomas, in an attempt to make it fair that he had to come to Lakeside today!!

Thursday could be a bit of a breather, but Joe has a friend coming over to stay so his room will need a clean, in fact the whole house could do with a makeover.

So on Friday I might be pleased to have to pop down to work to meet up with some people who are helping me out with The Main Event in October.

On top of all of this ( don't get me wrong, it's great really) we have Elyse's keyboard practise to contend with. She has a one hour lesson on a Monday and promises the teacher she will practise for 20 mins a day, which is actually quite a long time when you're 8 and according to Elyse, ' feels even longer when I keep shouting at her!'

Thing is, she does get some stuff wrong, as she will after only 5 lessons, but my point is, why keep practising it wrong, when I can help her do it right? So I tenderly suggest she remind me how many beats in the bar, and she bursts into tears and flings the book about and gets all dramatic!

I have to shout to get myself heard over the racking sobs - it's pitiful, it really is!!

However, once she pulls it all togther and I keep my big mouth shut, 'When the Saints', 'For He's A Jolly Good Fellow' and 'Rave On' sound really very good.

( I was really heartened to find that the friend we met up with at Lakeside today has the same trouble with her mum , so it's all normal - for a given value of normal I guess)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woah! Hectic Life Liz! So much for holiday!

I was reading yesterday about the spiritual discipline of 'an unhurried life'. How would that ever be possible for you?!? Do you ever find that you manage it?

xxx

Liz said...

Shall we say that I have my moments, but they are few and far betweeen. I tried to get into a habit of communing with God while driving the car to work, worship cd's etc and might go back to that. I'm afraid I was distracted by the Chris Moyles Show one morning and it really is the work of the devil ;)...but funny!!

As far as an unhurried life goes, I think with very careful and conscientious planning it could happen, but planning can get really tedious, especially when you're an impulsive person like me who sometimes needs the odd surprise or two!

Anonymous said...

i saw the last 10 mins of bonkers sat night... ur right in the words "trash" lol