Thursday 23 November 2006

Well, is there?

My daughter asked me an incredible question yesterday, but it was just at the wrong time - I know that sounds awful, and I truely feel awful saying it, but it was teatime!

I was in the kitchen stirring something in a saucepan when I was aware of this little voice breaking into whatever it was I was thinking about.

....well is there?

Is there what, darling?

....an answer..... to the meaning....to life?

I am still cringing at the trite, naff answer I gave...and no, it wasn't 42!
What is even more awful ( for me) is that now I can't even remember what I was thinking about before the 'interruption', so it can't even have been THAT important.

She's nearly 8 and needs to know if there is a answer to meaning to life and I feel a bit pants because I think I should know how to put some kind of answer into words that she would be able to do more thinking with.

I have a feeling that the next few nights of bedtime story time might be taken up having a good old chat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woah Liz, don't feel bad about that! It must have been a bit of a shock, such a massive question out of the blue like that. I wouldn't have known what to say to that!

Its probably better to answer it when you have time to sit down and properly chat about it too.

Out of interest, do you know how you might attempt to answer that one?

Unknown said...

Liz, quick point - (just read your comment on Kats blog), if people don't have google accounts (ie if they haven't switched over to beta) then you can still sign in on your account to make a comment, but you have to click on the 'switched over to the beta?, sign in with your google account' link under the sign in section of the comments page. Beware, if you have already written your comment, copy it before doing this because it gets lost. That's annoying!

xxx

Liz said...

Thanks Kirsty. The funny thing is, as with all things children think about, the moment is over SO fast. I tried to recover it this morning as they have a teacher training day at school aso we have somne time on our hands if we want, and I'm WFH, but can't cut off from them altogether, but she couldn't remember what had made her wonder about it.LESSON LEARNED - give my kids the time at the time!...but that's not always possible is it.I will continue to pnder this and it will feature some more I guess.

BTW - how do I get a friends who blog list please to add all my friends to. I have been trawling through all the helps,really wanting to work it our by myself but I really can't make any sense of it at all :)