Saturday 24 November 2007

I've Found the Key!


Being a lady of a certain age ( i.e mature...in years), I am pretty sure that there is nothing I have now to learn about myself, the way I react to things, the things I'm good at and the things I fail miserably at and I'd like to focus of the last of those attributes in this honest and heartfelt blog.
Some of you may recall the Shower Quiz that takes place in the hall household most mornings when I - NEVER Keith - get into the shower and suddenly everybody needs to know where all their illusive stuff is and yells their requests through the door into my water filled ears for me to dicipher and then provide the correct answer.
I will digress here, because I don't want you to think for one minute that Keith never has a shower, far from it, he has a very relaxing shower without the anxiety of 'THE WRONG ANSWER', in fact the children will do anything to avoid asking Keith any favours or questions because he is consistant, or at least they assume that he will say no.
So if I am upstairs getting ready for example, and Keith is downstairs IN THE KITCHEN, generally a small person will come up the stairs and ask me what is for breakfast or can they have a drink etc.
I will exclaim that ' Daddy is downstairs, why are you asking me?' to which the response generally is, 'He's getting ready for work' I will then ask, 'What do you think I am doing then' and more often than not, the response is, ' I don't know'
I have asked him what it is he does that makes it so obvious to them that he is indeed getting ready, and why they can't seem to grasp that me drying my hair while applying make up and sometimes ironing a top at the at the same time, does not give them some kind of clue as to what I am doing - maybe I am doing too much at once and their little sensors become overloaded?


Which brings me to the point of my blog - doing too much at once!
One of my worst failings, and here is where the Shower Quiz Event is SO funny, is that I really can't very often remember where I have put something. I mislay stuff all the time and almost have a reputation for it. People give me things and ask if I will be ok with them and it's got to the point where I will say something like, 'You'd really better not give me that because I WILL loose it'
So it was with great fear and trepidation that I took responsibility of The Key To the YP Cupboard at the URC. There is only one key and Dawn has very capabily has held it for 4 weeks and she knew as she handed it over that it was in grave danger of getting lost, we even joked about it - haha!
I placed the key in a fail safe place, my uniform pocket, knowing that I would be wearing it again the following week and would not need the uniform at all in the intervening days. The key was safe - Ha HA!
When I went to give it to my dad, as I realised I would not be at the URC in time for the start of FOJ Club this week, confidently going to my pocket, can you imagine the horror, when I found that The Key was gone! Boo hoo!
Panic gripped me as I mentally retraced my steps; where had I been, where could it have fallen out? I did that odd thing where I kept going back to the pocket in the hope that the key would somehow reappear.
Another digression - I was walking into the town on Friday afternoon and saw a lady trip up, which was funny because, well it just is - she didn't fall over anything, but she did turn around and give the offending paving slab a good hard stare. Why?
Anyway, we had been to a party on Sunday afternoon to celebrate the dedication of Ellie and Daisie and I had got changed at the venue, so I phoned my sister in law to ask her if a key had been found - NO KEY!
The following morning, before confessing my misdemenour to Dawn, I checked in the car. It was such a thorough check that anyone walking past might have mistaken it for a drugs bust ( I've seen them on the tele!!) - the whole inside of the car was out on the pavement - NO KEY - or at least, not the one I was looking for!
Confession time, not only to Dawn, but to Ann and Richard and the Minister at the URC. She was out, so I left a message, in the slim hope that she would ring back and tell me not to worry, they actually have hundreds of keys because people loose them ALL the time.
I spent Friday in a state of real anxiety.
...and then, in the early hours of Saturday morning, as I was drifting off to sleep, I had a vision of me slipping the key onto a keyring and shot out of bed and downstairs to my bunch of keys only to find................ that it wasn't there. ( yep, I felt just the same as I'm assuming you do now at this gripping point of the story - totally deflated)
I went to hang my keys on the magnetic key hook on the fridge door - they don't go there often and what do you think was hanging there?
( it was the key by the way)
Well I was jumping about, squealing as quietly as I could and whispering excitedly to Keith that I really must ring everyone and tell them, when he very gently reminded me that it was 1:45 in the morning and they probably wouldn't be that bothered. I fell asleep grinning like mad - which must have looked really very odd indeed, but I didn't care!
At some point during the week I had moved the key from the safety of my pocket onto an accessory made especially for looking after keys and I had NO recollection of doing it. It is at this point in the blog that I am considering deleting the whole thing because I do infact, sound like a mad person, or someone on the edge of dementia, which I may well be, but might not want the whole world to know about it just at the moment.
I think I do just do too many things at once and don't log what most of them are and I'm not being a martyr to that, it's just how my life is and why I am rubbish at being a guardian for things.
The minister at the URC did ring back and I told her the good news and she said that as I was so good at finding keys, perhaps I could find hers to the actual church - huh I really had her on a pedestal and now I know she's just a normal person!
I have since recalled the parable of the woman and the lost coin and can relate completely to her experience and have a tiny little inkling of how delighted God must be when someone who has been lost is found.


I've found the key!
PS I can't seem to make the spaces happen here, so that's why this posting is stripey :)

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, Liz. I have not laffed so much in a LONG TIME!

Brilliant....though I do confess, I wasn't thinking such nice thoughts about you during my sleepless nights this week!

Public Apology:
I am sorry that you knew I would be mad. You were right. I was. Along with sheer disbelief that I was truely right not to leave you with The Key.

When it comes down to it, it wouldn't have really mattered if The Key hadn't been found. I would have just cancelled all CM until it turned up!

Thing is, now I'm really scared.....what if I lose The Key????!!!!!

Dun dun duuuurrrrr

Unknown said...

Hi Liz!

Well i'm so glad you found the key - when I've lost something in my house i make EVERYONE look and if I see them not looking I go mad - how selfish but I get so panicked, oh and its never my fault, mum's ALWAYS moved it!!!

But seriously now you've found it why dont you get a few cut so Dawn and URC can have one?

xx

Liz said...

Rachel, it's a bit like the film Highlander - There Can Be Only One!!

Dawn, surely only ONE sleepless night, unless there are other issues that you haven't shared with me yet!

Jude said...

I'm convinced keys move themselves tho coz I left my keys on my bed the other week then minutes before I had to take Paul to the bus stop I couldn't find my keys I have a special hook for them which I thought I'd have moved them to off my bed but no and no not in my bag..... 24 hours later I find my keys under my mattress balancing on a bit of the bed frame so wen I'd looked under my bed I hadn't bin able to see them! HOW does that happen?!!!
Key's have the ability to move!!

Liz said...

Another funny thing about this is that the key wasn't actually lost at all - it was where the keys should be, on the key hook, so actually I was a good Guardian of the Key! It was the belief in myself that I am a Bad Guardian of things that led me to assume I had lost it....and we know what assuming does don't we? It makes an ASS out of U and ME!

Dawn said...

Now just 'cos you've had time to think about it....don't start twisting the story! If you are so confident, I'll ask Catherine, the new Key Holder to bring it tonight so you can look after it for next week!!!!!

Liz said...

NO, I'm not confident at all, my Key Holding self esteem is at an all time low! To think that when I worked for a Bank I was an Authorised Key Holder with responsibity for opening up the branch, the safe and everything. It's a long way to fall :(