Tuesday 20 March 2007

Extras, Extras!

'All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players' Shakespear

and Rush added - 'performers and portrayers. Each anothers audience inside a gilded cage' Exit Stage Left.

I had the strangest experience today - I was driving through Grays and I had stopped at a pedestrian crossing, for the lights were red, lovey, and it was as if someone, somewhere had shouted ACTION, because loads of people seemed to appear as if from no where to cross the road and I was strangely aware of all of them ( just read this back, it's quite surreal, but I hope there's going to be a point at the end!)

It seemed to be a perfect mix of people, like you might see in a kids tv programme filmed in a politically correct town, mum and baby, baker pushing a trolley of cakes, a rastafarian, some old people, a goth, an ordinary bloke ( for a given value of ordinary, I know I'm in danger of over using that phrase, but I LOVE It)...There might even have been a lollypop 'person' there too.
( Hmm, y'see, I've forgotten already, but for that moment, they all seemed so.... deliberate.)

Here's the point I think - this morning I prayed that I would actively see God's presence in ALL the people I met today. Now, I wouldn't presume that God would drop everything to answer MY prayer and quite possibly I was having one of my moments...have you ever looked at yourself in a mirror and wondered who you are? This might seem to imply that I sit and gaze into a mirror often. I don't! ( as I said before; surreal)

Anyway, this morning I actively saw a bunch of people as individuals and they all seemed so important that if one of them had been missing from that scene, it wouldn't have been right somehow.

Is that how God sees us...I don't mean as a bit player in some scene for the day, but as a deliberate, individual, important part of The Bigger Picture? Did my prayer this morning tap into some vast cosmically divine plan so that for a moment I caught a glimpse of how God sees 'us'? Or was I just 'a bit tired'?

Been pondering over the phrase - God is IN. Watched one of the Nooma DVD's 'Breathe' last week ( BTW well worth a look!) and was astonished to be reminded that God is in. He is just in. To say he is 'in Heaven' implies an over there kind of feeling. To say God is in ...the house' implies that he can choose to move from here to there, which I guess He can, but God breathed His Spirit into us, IN.Into mankind, through Adam.The breath of God was in all of those people that crossed that road, whether they knew it or not.

My naive question is - How can they NOT know it?

4 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

Have you considered that you may be stuck in some weird kind of Truman Showesque type world where nothing operates unless you're there to see it and the whole world is watching you and your actions on E4 (except everytime you put E4 on and the network quickly puts an episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S on instead)?

I've said too much.

Unknown said...

That's weird - I actually used to wonder that (but with a different kind of spin on it)! Ok, now I've said too much!

Andy said...

Heh, you crazy drama types...

By the way, Glyn, is F.R.I.E.N.D.S like the Man from U.N.C.L.E or M.A.S.H.?

Liz said...

Well, no I hadn't wondered that, but now I am, because, under normal cicumstances, when I get in from work, everyone starts talking at once and running about getting all excited. I have this effect on people( and that's just my mum and dad in law)
However, today, nobody reacted until I said hello!

Hmmmm, what's that webcam doing in the bunch of flowers I got for Mother's Day?