Tuesday 23 January 2007

Are you looking at me?

Well, I've just been severely, if joyfully, reprimanded for giving someone a 'look'.

Apparently, some time ago, I challenged a certain person because I felt they had 'looked me up and down' . This person is an extraordinarily close friend, and, I'm sure, knowing me like I do,that it would have been a weak and giggly challenge. I have no recollection of this episode.

So this evening while collecting Elyse from Singing Company practise, in a very functional outfit, I was caught, by the aforementioned friend looking someone else 'up and down'.

I have no recollection of this 'look' and would never assume myself to be in a position to knowingly give someone 'it'.

This, however, is my friend's point - she feels vindicated, as she felt she didn't give me a 'look' in the first place!

The paradox is that I have made one person very happy, initially without knowing it and possibly offended someone horribly without knowing it - all with the same 'look' .

Now I'm wondering if I should apologise to the person I 'looked at' in case she's having self esteem issues!

Sometimes it's really tough being a girl!

9 comments:

Dawn said...

I don't think any apologies are necessary - I'm sure the person last night didn't even notice!

What strikes me is the first time this happened you forgot and the recipient didn't! I am certainly not saying that you damaged that person for life (!) but isn't it wierd how some people remember and some don't.

I have been told that I look too deeply into situations and analyse what comments or action could mean, when actually there is no need to do that...there is no deeper meaning!

Liz said...

Correct, I'm far to shallow to imply a deeper meaning from anything I do - see my response on Kirsty's blog:)I'll just tell you that you look awful, a 'look' is far too ambiguous and subtle for me, but I will be wearing dark glasses from now on, just in case. D'you know, I feel like that X man who can inflict fatal damage on people when he removes his protective eye wear. I'm dangerous!

Unknown said...

I have never noticed you 'look' at anyone. Scary that it can be done without realising!

Liz, you are not shallow in any way. Please stop saying that about yourself.

xxx

Dawn said...

Not for blogging - see my email

nigel said...

Liz, don't post this! I work with Kirsty and through her blog site got to look at yours and would just like to applaud you taste in music. To find anyone citing Rush as a favourite band is brilliant. From a drumming perspective I am in awe and find it both inspiring and demoralising at the same time.
Anyway, have good w/e!

nigel said...

Liz
Kirsty gets to choose what posts to publish but mine just popped up on your site. Sorry. But at least it's good for others to know your music taste is commended by another!?

Liz said...

HI Nigel,

Thanks for your comment!

My husband introduced me to Rush with the Album 'Fly By Night' and I've been hooked ever since - he's been a real Rocker in his time;Whitesnake, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy, in fact he has a fairly eclectic taste in music, but Rush appealed to me because it's 'intelligent' rock. Do you know what I mean?

Re Drumming - yes Neil Peart is the King! We saw them on their 30 year tour at Wembly and even seeing the drum kit, beautifully lit before the band came on was ...well....exciting really!

nigel said...

Great taste! I wish I could have got my wife into the rock side of music taste but alas! I'm jealous of yous seeing the 30th tour and I only have Rio DVD to overcome some of this feeling. I play drums myself so appreciate Peart. Having always said he's the best in the world I've now come across 2 others probably better but still love Peart's mild modest manner and reserved nature. Anyway, I've side-tracked this surely very meaningful blog!? If you can something like, "I really like what you were wearing the other evening, you looked great in such a functional outfit" without lying then go for that, otherwise don't get so paranoid, you sound like my wife - chill!!

Unknown said...

Ooh! I am sensing a difference between male and female here! Would I be wrong? Women worry about these things, men don't get why?!